Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship
NOAA’s Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship recognizes outstanding students studying in NOAA mission fields. Scholars receive up to $9,500 per academic year to support their studies, as well as paid summer internship opportunities at NOAA facilities across the U.S. Hollings alumni report that the experience influenced their academic and career paths, expanded their professional networks and improved their skills for working in NOAA mission fields.
To be eligible to apply for the Hollings Scholarship, at the time of application (annually September through January) applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be currently enrolled or accepted at an accredited college or university within the United States or U.S. territories as either:
- a full-time 2nd year student in a four-year undergraduate program
- a full-time 3rd year student in a five-year undergraduate program
- a community college or transfer student who is applying to a four-year institution
- Community college or transfer applicants must provide proof of application to a four-year institution when submitting their application for the scholarship.
- If accepted for the Hollings Scholarship, applicants must submit proof of acceptance prior to starting the program.
- Earn and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent on another identified scale) each term, as well as an overall GPA of 3.0 in your major field of study.
- The GPA requirement applies throughout the period of undergraduate studies: prior to and at the time of application for a scholarship, for the period between application and award notification, and after award distribution.
- Have and maintain a declared major in a discipline including, but not limited to: oceanic, environmental, biological, and atmospheric sciences, mathematics, engineering, remote sensing technology, computer and information science, physical and social sciences including geography, physics, hydrology, geomatics, or teacher education that support NOAA’s programs and mission.
- For additional information regarding the Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship Program, view our frequently asked questions or email StudentScholarshipPrograms@noaa.gov.